Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Western Conference Hottie: Drew Doughty (LA Kings)

Here's another of those wonderful requests. This one comes to us from reader "25superstar." She's nominated Drew Doughty of the Los Angeles Kings for our WC Hockey eyecandy for the week.

Now personally, the Kings play the Stars much too often for me to develop any deep affections. However, after doing research for this post, I may have to adjust my observations a smidgen. [See what happens when you're not so jaded, Kena?!]

IMPORTANT HOCKEY STUFF: Making a pretty good "splash" for the Kings this year with his very young career. However it seems he's bringing a pretty darn good return on their draft pick investment.

He was born on December 8, 1989 and is a native of London, Ontario, Canada. He played three seasons with the OHL’s Guelph Storm, as a defenceman, totaling 190 regular season games where he amassed 39 goals and 118 assists for a total of 157 points and 184 penalty minutes. He also played 28 playoff games where he had 5 goals, 22 assists totaling 27 points and 40 penalty minutes.

He has some International success as part of Canada’s gold medal-winning team at the 2008 world junior championships. He was named top defenseman of the tournament after recording four assists in seven games.

He's won the following awards while playing in the World Jrs.

  • 2008 World Junior Ice Hockey Championships: Directorate Award for Best Defenceman
  • 2008 World Junior Ice Hockey Championships: Named All-Star team
He was drafted #2 overall in the 2008 draft by the LA Kings, for whom he now plays.So of course, the 08/09 season is his first NHL season.

REALLY IMPORTANT STUFF: Of the dark hair, dark eyes, 6'1" 203lb Young-Studly-Hockey-Defenseman persuasion. LA ladies have quite a treat watching him play. I was unable to find a whole lot on his personality.

He has this to say.
- On fitting in: "If guys were quiet, not talking to me, I definitely would feel uncomfortable. But guys joke around and give it to me because I'm the youngest. I think I answer to about 10 nicknames around the room ... 'Dewy' is the one that is sticking."
- On not taking his roster spot for granted: "I love all the accolades I have been given. I just don't think about them. I can't. I mean, I could be sent back to junior hockey any time. The way I look at it, I have to earn my job here every day." (ah, there's that trait we here at HftL just simply fall in love with - WORK ETHIC!!! YUMMY!!!!)

One interesting thing I did run across doing research for this is that he's rumored to be one time boyfriend of Taylor Swift. I have NO idea if there is any accuracy to this or not, but since I found it interesting I thought I'd pass it on. [You know what I find interesting? That picture posted over there to the left -- now THAT'S interesting!!! ; ) ]

4 comments:

Life_As_A_Redhead said...

First thing that came to my mind, when I saw that picture.'

"Nice Ass"

[laughs]

Erika Zimmerman said...

thank YOU! :]
that first picture is my fave of him! :]

Lauren said...

What a smile! :)

and Kena, I thought the same thing!

mer said...

DEWY!!! If Mase wasn't a shoo-in for the Calder, I'd want Doughty to win. I'm so impressed by this kid. His play in the WJC in 2008? KICK ASS! So good that the Kings refused to let him go to Ottawa (even though they totally released Oscar Moller who's older than Dewy - man, I love the nickname...)