Friday, April 2, 2010

Where My Ladies At?

THESE ARE OUR STORIES
(How I Became a [Female] Hockey Fan)!
First, I just want to say, I LOVE this idea. I always enjoy listening to different women share how they got sucked in to the art that is hockey.

Alright, so here's my story. I had no choice other than to like hockey. It was in my blood from the day I was born. My father wouldn't have it any other way. I was born in La Canada, California, (pronounced kahn-ya-da), so if I ever get into an argument with the male kind about hockey, I tell them I was born in Canada, and the argument just seems to disappear. Now I'm not lying to them, I'm just leaving out a few words and pronouncing my hometown differently. And all the guys I know, if you're from Canada, hockey is in your blood automatically. They're a bunch of football heads.

I don't remember the first NHL game I went to, because I was only 6 months old. My dad likes to tell me this story a lot though. About how he had to argue and argue with my mother to allow him to take me. She finally obliged and the rest is history. I became a regular fixture at Los Angeles Kings games from 1987 till 2002. So it's safe to say, I know how to deal with losing pretty well. My brother played for ten years, while my dad coached him. Most of my childhood memories are from the back of my dad's truck, where I sat between my brother and his teammate Dom, driving all over the west coast for tournaments. Now Dom, was my first crush. He was 8 years older than me, but I was sure that if I couldn't marry Luc Robitaille that I would marry Dom. It was a sad day in our house when we got Dom's wedding invitation a few years later.

I can't remember how old I was, but this is my fondest moment at a Kings game. I was pretty young, and I was discovering the power of the mullet and how truly beautiful Robitaille is. I want to say it was some sort of meet and greet with the team, and of course, everyone was flocking to Wayne Gretzky. I know my brother was, he was completely star struck. Now I'm standing in front Wayne, and he's bending down to my level asking me if I wanted his autograph, and I suddenly see Luc over his shoulder. So what's a kid to do? I'm standing in front of one of the best hockey players to ever play the game, but the love of my life is just feet away. I blew off Wayne and proceeded to ask Luc to marry me. Then I cried because everyone started laughing. Highlight of my life right there.

The summer of 2002, my family got up and moved to a little town a hour north of Seattle, WA. I cried on the two day drive up because that meant no more Kings games. I knew something was up that summer when my dad didn't renew our season tickets. So here I am in Seattle, a city that just doesn't appreciate hockey like it should. As soon as we moved here though, we discovered the WHL, and I've been a season ticket holder for the Seattle Thunderbirds for 5 years now.

So I wasn't forced into liking hockey, it's just apart of who I am. Now I sleep, drink and eat hockey, and I have a growing jersey collection that is my most prized possession.
Kristina A.
A girl after my own heart ... snubs Gretzky to head over to Robitaille and ask him to marry her (AWESOME!) - I can understand why it's the highlight of your life, Kristina!!  You gotta love the stories involving a father and a brother (who plays the game) - it's clost to impossible for a girl to resist the lure of hockey when the odds are stacked against her like that!!  And I can understand the sadness of moving away from a hockey town, but you should be thankful you have hockey at all ... hockey IS HOCKEY (WHL or NHL)!!  The situation could be like Kena's used to be and have to listen to the closest hockey team (over 400 miles away)!!!  Just another great story ... THANKS for sharing, Kristina!!!

Don't forget, if you wish to submit your story, I kindly ask that you
email them directly to me so they don't end up being repetitive for some of the readers. Also, if you don't want me to include your name, please let me know that as well (what I'll normally do is put your first name and last initial if I have it OR just your screen name).

FEEL FREE TO INCLUDE A PICTURE!!

I also want to let you know I LOVE these stories (and so do alot of our readers) - I've always found it interesting no matter who the fan, so I'm enjoying ALL OF THIS IMMENSELY!! KEEP THEM COMING, but I ask that you
email them please - THANKS!!!

Also, I ask that you please BE PATIENT as I'm still receiving TONS of stories in addition to the ones that are already posted in some of the "comments" sections here that I'm hoping to re-post. If you sent in a story, it will eventually be on the blog - I promise!! ; ) JUST BE SURE TO KEEP THEM COMING (the more the better!)!!

thesteelcitysportsfan@gmail.com

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kristina, I would have done the same thing you did. I loved Luc and he was only a Penguin for a year. I was so sad when he left but I recently got a Lucky Luc Penguins jersey just because I love him so. Great story

Kristina said...

Thanks for sharing my story!! I love reading these. :D

@zpawoman I would LOOOOOVE to have a Luc Pens jersey... oh my goodness. I have two Kings jerseys, but my brother stole one 4 years ago and hasn't returned it yet. haha.

Maureen said...

Awesome story!!! I fell for Lemieux at a young age, and if I ever got close enough, I probably would have asked him to marry me!