Friday, June 10, 2011

Where My Ladies At?

THESE ARE OUR STORIES
(How I Became a [Female] Hockey Fan)!

PART II
[CONT'D from last Friday]

Since then, the addiction's only gotten worse. I follow "my boys" almost obsessively to see what they're doing in practice, what community events they're holding (Pens in Santa hats? Yes, please!), and when I could potentially make it home to student rush a game. Unfortunately, hockey season and swimming season pretty much coincide so I haven't been able to make it home yet this season. Instead, I comfort myself with the fact that the college I go to is close enough to Pittsburgh that I still get FSN and (amazingly) my radio picks up The X so that I can have my Mike Lange fix, too. A lot of the guys on the team were surprised that I liked hockey and could spout off the different players and their numbers and positions. I may not be able to recall how many goals Sid has scored this season at the drop of a hat, but I can remember different line combinations and I get upset when Danny B shuffles them around. My hall always knows when there's a game on because I yell at the TV. Now, normally I'm a very soft-spoken individual, but I swear like a sailor when it comes to hockey games. I yell at the refs. I yell at the coaches. I yell at the players - it doesn't matter if the game's going well or not. My roommate (unfortunately not the same girl as last year - she transferred) and my boyfriend think it's hilarious. I just think it's fun.

I think I love the Pens because not only are they a talented (and good-looking!) team, they're a classy organization. I look at all the stuff they do on the ice (Stanley Cup Champions!) and then off the ice as well (the Children's Hospital trips, Pens & Pins, their involvement in Hockey Against Cancer, the Mario Lemieux foundation, Make-a-Wish...the list goes on) and they're just all-around good guys. They impress me with how professional they are and how team-oriented they are. Everybody has everybody's back: Sid standing up for Geno during his scoring slump; Tanger taking on Powe after that hit on Goligoski even though he's not a fighter; and Godard clearing up the crease for Pechurskiy back in that Vancouver game. And don't even get me started on how sweet it was of the whole team to go over to Alex after that game and congratulate him. And, of course, when Sid gave him the puck. That's what I love. And they're all so humble, too. I have a favorite interview of Kris Letang's (he's my current favorite - future husband #4... =]) before Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals. In it, he's asked, "What are you going to do differently tonight?" and he responds with, "I'm going to relax and play the game the way I usually play it because tonight, it's going to be a team win, not an individual win." Makes me melt. And the sex hair (I miss it!) and gorgeous brown eyes and adorable accent don't hurt either!

Anyway, that's pretty much my story. I'm just a crazy college co-ed who spends her spare time mooning over the Pens. And I don't think I'd have it any other way.
- Gizmo
Quite honestly, I think alot of TRUE female fans start out watching / enjoying a sport by the attractive qualities of some player catching her eye then realizing that the sport of hockey is a pretty awesome game too (and it grows from there) - very similar to your experience, Gizmo.  So for those "fan girls" and / or guys who roll their eyes at females that gush over how "hawt" a player is or think that they're only fans for that reason should give them a chance because FOR ALL OF US (male OR female) there's usually a reason we become fans in the first place ... unfortunately we're not born being a fan (well, a few of us may not be lucky enough to be born into a hockey-crazed family!).  We were all teenagers at one time and can probably remember our lives being taken over by hormones, but if that leads to a genuine fan after all that is over then how can we judge that and, quite frankly, who cares?!!  THANKS for sharing your story, Gizmo!!

Don't forget, if you wish to submit your story, I kindly ask that you email them directly to me so they don't end up being repetitive for some of the readers. Also, if you don't want me to include your name, please let me know that as well (what I'll normally do is put your first name and last initial if I have it OR just your screen name).  ALSO ... IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO UPDATE YOUR STORY IF IT'S ALREADY APPEARED ON HftL, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO EMAIL ME!!

FEEL FREE TO INCLUDE A PICTURE!!

I also want to let you know I LOVE these stories (and so do alot of our readers) - I've always found it interesting no matter who the fan, so I'm enjoying ALL OF THIS IMMENSELY!! KEEP THEM COMING, but I ask that you
email them please - THANKS!!!

Also, I ask that you please BE PATIENT as I'm still receiving TONS of stories (they'll be posted in the order I received them, to be fair). If you sent in a story, it will eventually be on the blog - I promise!! ; ) JUST BE SURE TO KEEP THEM COMING (the more the better!)!! AS A NOTE, I'm currently on stories I received back in January 2010!!!

thesteelcitysportsfan@gmail.com

No comments: