Monday, November 14, 2011

Eastern Conference Eye Candy: Josh Bailey (New York Islanders)


HOCKEY FACTOR:
Like most professional hockey players, Josh Bailey began playing hockey at an early age (started skating at 2-1/2 years old and began playing at 4 years old).
"I think I started skating when I was about two and a half – my dad would take me out all the time. I always said I wanted to go skating and what not. And there is a funny story. I always used to complain, I'd cry when I fell down and hurt myself. So then I'd say I never wanted to skate again. (My dad) just kept putting more padding on me and more padding on me over the years so whenever I fell I'd hop back up. Then after that I took right off. I started playing when I was four."
At age four, Josh played for his first team the Oshawa Minor Generals until age nine when he joined the Clarington Minor Hockey Association AAA League and played for the Clarington Toros through the 2004-05 season.

He was then drafted in the first round of the OHL Priority selection in 2005 and began playing for the Owen Sound Attack (2005-06, part of 2006-07) before being traded to the Windsor Spitfires during the following season (2006-07). While playing with the Spitfires, Bailey was made named as an alternate captain, played in the 2008 OHL All-Star Classic as well as the 2008 Canadian Hockey League Top Prospects game then was ultimately drafted in the first round of the 2008 NHL Entry Draft by the New York Islanders (9th overall).
The Islanders signed Bailey to a three-year contract worth $900,000 in October 2008 before announcing that he would be on their NHL roster for the 2008-09 season; however, due to a pre-season injury, he wouldn't make his debut until November 11, 2008 (missing a total of 14 games).  He scored his first goal on January 2, 2009 against the Phoenix Coyotes.  Most recently, Josh played in his 200th NHL / Islander game this past season in March 2011.

Bailey is a pretty versatile player although he doesn't use his size to his advantage and could benefit from being a bit more physical.  He has described himself as a playmaker with good vision of the ice and that he's more prone to passing the puck and making a play rather than shooting to score a goal.  He can play on both ends of the ice as well as special teams.  Prior to his being drafted, the NHL's Director of Scouting E.J. McGuire believed the power play was one of his strengths and had this to say about Josh:
"Josh is the quarterback on the power-play, from down low, for the Windsor Spitfires and I think he is going to continue to be that. He is a good play-making centerman with the ability to feed his linemates when he needs to and shoot the puck when the play requires that."
HOTNESS FACTOR:
Bailey is large at a height of 6' 1 and 190 pounds.  He was born and raised in Bowmanville, Ontario.  His nickname is "Bails."

He wore the number 89 while playing in the OHL for his birth year.  And if he didn't play hockey for a living, he would want to be a police officer.
 
From what I've read, he supposedly has a steady girlfriend named Megan.
FAVORITES:
  • NHL Team: Toronto Maple Leafs
  • NHL Player: Joe Sakic
  • Shootout move: "fake shot backhand five hole"
  • Goal celebration: "arm in the air"
  • Practice Drill: "2 on 1's"
  • Video Game: Guitar Hero
  • Movie: Superbad
  • TV Show: Family Guy
  • Actor: Will Ferrell
  • Pump-up song: "Love is Gone" by David Guetta
  • Food to cook: Egg sandwich
  • Sport (other than hockey): Baseball
  • Activity away from the rink: Fishing
  • Place to visit: the beach
Information in this post obtained from the following:
2008 NHL Entry Draft Player Profile - Joshua Bailey
Josh Bailey Wikipedia
New York Islanders Player Profile: Josh Bailey

No comments: